Thursday, July 16, 2009

creme fraiche


i read about this great stuff in my French Women book. here's where i found out how to make it, because it pretty much doesnt exist in the US. it tastes like sour cream thats not as sour, so you can put a dab on your fruit, on bread, and we tried it on crepes for our bastille day dinner. it does for food what cream does for a bisque- i just makes it richer and more amazing! (obviously you only use a tiny bit- its super rich)

the process to make it was amazing- you just get a jar, put whipping cream and a little buttermilk in it, and sit it out on the counter for 24 hours! voila! the enzymes in buttermilk are just right to turn the cream a little bit sour.

mirelle guilano said that as a child she would be given a little slice of bread, creme fraiche, and cocoa powder on top for a snack. i tried it and i approve!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I think I read that book. My mother in law gave it to me. Look at you for making it! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina! I'm pumped you have a blog, reading all your posts made me extremely hungry! I can't believe you tried spanikopita, using phyllo dough scares me for some reason. Hey, if you want some of our favorite ethnic recipes, let me know and I'll email them. They're a little bit of work, but definitely worth it and cheaper than going out to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, your recipes look awesome!

    And you commented on my blog! Huzzah! :)

    ReplyDelete